What language classes are offered ?

The languages which are taught at SCEL are English, French as a foreign language (FLE) and German.

Many degree programs in sciences or health studies offer English classes. For further information, consult the page describing UCBL degree programs.

French as a foreign language
French as a foreign language is offered to non-French speaking foreign students. These semester long FLE classes are offered in place of the English classes provided in each degree program.
See also the article où apprendre le français à Lyon?

German is offered as an alternative to English for students with a good level of English. An interview in English is used to determine a satisfactory level of English.

If you wish to study another language, see the paragraph Where can I learn a language not offered at UCBL ?.

How can I enroll in a language class ?

Only officially registered UCBL students in degree programs requiring language lesssons may enroll in language classes.

Undergraduate students enroll in language classes during the registration period at the beginning of each semester.

How can I register for the TOEFL or TOEIC tests ?


The TOEFL test assesses the ability of non English-speakers to use and understand spoken and written English in an academic environment. It is recognised internationally. Most institutions of higher learning in the United States and Canada use TOEFL results in admitting foreign students.

TOEFL registration can be done online on the website of ETS, which organises the test. The testing fee for this year is $155.

Test preparation classes (3 sessions per year) are organised by the International Relations service, for students having applied to a school or for an internship in an English-speaking country. In order to register, contact Mme Bouyer.


The TOEIC Test assesses the language proficiency of non English-speakers in the workplace. It tests the ability to work in an international environment. It is an internationally recognised standard of English proficiency used by companies, language schools and other institution worldwide.

The SCEL organises TOEIC tests periodically as necessary. The 37€ fee, forwarded to ETS, covers the cost of correcting the test and issuing the certificate. Pre-register by email at

The university does not organise TOEIC preparation classes. The regular English classes constitute a satisfactory preparation. In addition, TOEIC test preparation books are available at Cargo and websites exist which provide practice for the test. A brochure which describes the test, provides sample questions and explains the method of correction is available on the ETS website.

What is the European Language Portfolio and what do the levels correspond to ?

The European Language Portfolio
The European Language Portfolio is a document in which those who are learning or have learned a language - whether at school or outside school - can record their language learning and cultural experiences.

It has 2 main aims :
-to motivate learners by acknowledging their efforts to extend and diversify their language skills at all levels
- to provide a record of the linguistic and cultural skills they have acquired (to be consulted, for example, when they are moving to a higher learning level or seeking employment at home and abroad).

For further information, visit the Council of Europe website.

The European Levels
There are 6 levels divided into 3 categories
- Basic user (levels A1 and A2)
- Independent user (levels B1 and B2)
- Proficient user (levels C1 and C2)

A global scale briefly describes the abilities at each level making it easier for a learner to determine their level.

There is also a Self-Assessment Grid which provides, for each of the language skills (listening, reading, writing, speaking), a more detailed overview showing the major categories of language use at each level.

Where can I learn a language not offered at UCBL ?

English, German and French as a foreign language are taught at <acronym title="Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1">UCBL</acronym>. If you would like to learn another language, you should contact a specialized institution or one of the other universities in Lyon which provide continuing education language courses.

Université Lumière Lyon 2
Languages taught : Arabic, Chinese, English, German, Italian, Portugese, Russian, Scandinavian languages, Spanish, ...

For more information :
- continuing education language courses
- brochure

Université Jean Moulin Lyon 3
Languages taught :
Arabic, Armenian, Bulgarian, Cantonese, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, English, German, Hebrew , Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Modern Greek, Mandarin, Persian, Polish, Portugese, Rumanian, Russian, Sanskrit, Spanish, Taiwanese,Turkish, Vietnamese.

For more information :
- Lyon 3 continuing education service
- brochure

How can I arrange to meet with a language teacher ?

If you would like to meet with a language teacher, arrange an appointment with the person concerned.

The email addresses of all language teachers are listed in the department organization chart.